Saturday, March 7, 2009

Daredevil #116 Review




Daredevil #116
Return of the King: Part One
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Pencils by: David Aja
Inks by: Stefano Gaudiano
Colors by: Jose Villarrubia
Letters by: Chris Eliopoulos
Cover by: Marko


I haven’t picked up an issue of Daredevil since Bendis and Maleev were the creative team behind the book a few years ago. When I heard that the Kingpin was coming back and Brubaker (the writer behind Captain America one of my favorite comics) was authoring the issue I jumped on board.


Despite the title, Daredevil is no where to be seen, save for a single, indirect image. Instead the entirety of the book focuses on a noir-style narration given by the Kingpin during his self-imposed exile in Spain. It reads fast and while light on story, gives some great character insight, something Brubaker excels at. Wilson Fisk, aka The Kingpin, meets a woman and her kids while on retreat at a costal Spanish village. Of course, things turn tragic which ultimately send him home. One thing that struck me with the writing was Brubaker’s use of the word “you” during the narration. It helps connect with each panel, by placing the reader at the center of the story. Instead of “I” or something similar the author goes with a word that tells you how you should be feeling with each and every page, thereby truly drawing you into the story and making the Kingpin that much more sympathetic. This front and center story-telling makes it clear that the Kingpin is back in the Marvel Universe and will have an important part to play in Murdock’s life and hopefully in the Dark Reign storyline, as I think Norman Osborne has already gone as far as he can. It’s time for someone else to step up.


I will say there are few cheesy lines and I’m not sure how Fisk actually survived the book’s climax. That said, a few minor quibbles won’t keep me from admiring the writing talent. Brubaker has been around a long time and even though they already have Bendis, I’m beginning to think he’s Marvel’s answer to Geoff Johns. At least I hope so.


David Aja is a name I’m not familiar with. Aside from some great covers on “The Immortal Iron Fist” series, there isn’t anything that stands out for me, but he’s definitely someone I’ll be watching in the future. His pencils give the book a gritty, dark feel, while always keeping Fisk human. Gaundiano’s inks only add to the noir feel.


The book may be short, but regardless, I have a feeling the upcoming story will make this purchase well worth it.
B+

No comments:

Post a Comment